Impressum | Datenschutz | AGB
Ansbach – Margravial Residential City in Middle Franconia


Ansbach, the seat of the District Government of Middle Franconia and former residency of the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, can look back on 1250 years of an eventful and changeful history.

Today the City has a population of 40,000. It is located just off the historic „Castle Road“ and borders on the Franconian Heights Nature Park with its extensive forests.  Thanks to its wealth in historic sights and treasures,  Ansbach ranks highly among Franconian towns. Impressive historic buildings, like the Court Chancellery, the Churches of St John and St Gumbertus, the Residence with its 27 staterooms, and the magnificent Orangery and adjacent Courtyard Garden, are witnesses to a glamorous past of the former residential city.

Today modern educational institutions, like the Ansbach University for Applied Science, mid-sized businesses in the fields of polymer processing,  food products, and electrical engineering, various administrative facilities, and an attractive shopping mall located down town, give distinction to the former garrison town. 




10000-8000 BC Colonization of the hills around Ansbach begins
8000-4000 BC Stone Age Colonies inhabit the hills around Ansbach. In 1924, Carl Gumpert is the first to discover a living pit of the Stone Age in Eyb.
748 A Benedictine abbey is founded by Gumbert 
ca. 1050 Crypt of Saint Gumbertus is constructed
1139 Initial mention of Ansbach Parish
1189 Emperor Frederic Ist Barbarossa visits Ansbach
1195 Gumbertus, founder of the abbey, is canonized
1221 Initial mention of  Ansbach as a city
1331 The convent, as well as the city, become part of the domain of the Zollern empire
1363 The dynasty of the "Hohenzollern" is raised to the noble rank of  “Princes of the Empire”
1363 The construction of a castle surrounded by a moat begins (in its’ place later the ‘Residence’ is built)
1398-1440 Duke Frederic VI in 1415 is appointed elector and later becomes Margrave Frederic Ist
1456 The Imperial Court of Justice locates in Ansbach. The Margrave establishes residence in Ansbach
1486-1515 Margrave Frederic rules
1501 Construction of the \'Knights of the Swans\' Chapel
1515-1527 Margrave Casimir rules
1515-1543 Margrave Georges the "The Pious" introduces the Reformation in 1528 and in 1523 acquires the Dukedom of Jaegerndorf
1556-1603 Margrave George Frederic rules
1563 Secularization of St. Gumbertus Abbey
1603-1625 Margrave Joachim Ernest rules
1609 Simon Marius discovers moons of Jupiter from Ansbach Castle tower
1639-1667 Margrave Albrecht rules
1672-1686 Margrave Johann Frederic rules
1685 The Huguenots arrive in Ansbach
1694-1703 Margrave George Frederic rules
1703-1723 Margrave William Frederic rules
1709 Manufacture of faience begins 
1723-1729 Margrave Christiane Charlotte rules
1726 Construction of the "Orangerie" inside the castle gardens
1729-1757 Margrave Charles William Frederic, the "Wild Margrave" rules
1736 Reconstruction of St. Gumbertus abbey begins
1746 Dedication of the Ansbach Synagogue
1757-1791 Margrave Alexander rules
1763 Manufacture of porcelain begins
1791 Abdication of Margrave Alexander
1792 Ansbach becomes part of the Prussian territory
1806 Ansbach becomes part of Bavaria and capital of the \'Rezat\' district
1831-1833 Kaspar Hauser, "The European Child", lives in Ansbach
1838 Ansbach becomes capital of Middle Franconia (Mittelfranken)
1945 The City of Ansbach is bombed during World War II, all bridges are destroyed
1948 The first Bach festivals are held in Ansbach
Ansbach establishes partnership with Jaegerndorf, Silesia
Ansbach establishes partnership with Bay City, USA
1968 Ansbach establishes partnership with Anglet, Southern France 
1972 Small villages surrounding Ansbach are incorporated into the city, making Ansbach the fifth largest city (in terms of acreage) in Bavaria
1975 Autobahn construction begins;
Ansbach wins the \'Prix France - Germany\'
1984 Dedication of the Margrave Museum (Markgrafenmuseum)
1991 American Army units stationed in Ansbach begin partial drawdown
1996 University of Applied Science opens to students
1997  Bruecken-Center (mall) opens
1998 Hohenzollernring bypass is completed
deutsch english